- A rotten Great One retrieved out of the abyss of the nightmare, fear its Frenzy.
- Nightmare of Mensis - Mergo's Loft Middle
|Living String||Only drops one per playthrough.|
- Using the "Make Contact" gesture for about roughly 30 seconds in front of it will give you the Moon Rune +3 (30%). Using the gesture while already in possession of said rune will grant a great one's wisdom instead.
- It respawns but killing it again will only give you blood echoes. If your looking for more Living String, you can purchase some from the Bath Messenger (Insight) for 10 Insight.
- Appears to be made out of Messengers.
- Also called Mother Brain within the community a nod to the Metroid series.
Steps to defeating it
Note: It's probably a good idea to equip high Frenzy resist gear and bring as many Sedatives as you can.
1) Starting at the Mensis: Middle Loft lantern, start ascending the stairs until you reach the cage elevator shortcut. Get in the cage but be prepared to roll into an open window as you descend.
2) Follow the path across the open bridge but be wary of the three Brain Trust enemies along the way as they can cause massive frenzy build up.
3) After the bridge will be a room with "spider like" enemies. Head to the far back right corner of this room to find some stairs leading down.
4) After the stairs you'll be in a small room with a hole and a balcony straight ahead with a lever. Pulling the lever will trigger a cut-scene where the Brain will drop into a large pit.
6) Head outside again to another open bridge with many corpses on it that contain Madman's Knowledge and a Great One's Wisdom. About halfway across will be a broken tower, jump down (avoid the the pit where the brain fell) and collect the Blood Rock nearby.
8) Make your way inside to where all the black mannequin enemies are and go down to the bottom floor with all the holes in the ground, there should now be a cage elevator located on the right side.
9) Take the elevator down and you'll arrive in a pitch-black room (similar to The Abyss from Dark Souls). Take a look around and you'll find the Brain lying there. It is non-aggressive so don't worry about actually having to fight it.
The Brain of Mensis (Mother Brain) is a great one found within the Nightmare of Mensis, Appearing to be chained up and nailed into a chamber within the nightmare's fortress known as Mergo's Loft, it prevents intruders from approaching with a fearsome frenzy effect clearly being used to prevent passage to the fortress.
The Living String description reads "The immense brain that Mensis retrieved from the nightmare was indeed lined with eyes on the inside, but they were of an evil sort, and the brain was terribly rotten. But even still, it was a legitimate Great One, and left a relic. A living relic, at that, which is a precious thing indeed", This description reveals a great deal of information about both the brain and the school of Mensis. The brain itself does not have any clear intentions at all not having any dialogue or mention aside from item descriptions. What is there heavily implies that Mensis was using the brain they found as a defensive measure against intruders, regardless of any intention on the Great Ones behalf however in regards to the line "The brain was terribly rotten" it could imply this Great One may not be aware or be able to fully comprehend what is happening.
As foul in appearance as the Brain of Mensis is, as well as its clear destructive power, the brain definitely appears to be a victim to the school of Mensis. Trapped, chained and suspended above a hole a nearby lever acts as a countermeasure against Mother Brain releasing the binds and dropping her into an abyss where she/he/it cannot do harm, after this switch is triggered access to this abyss is possible to find a broken and helpless but alive mother brain at the mercy of a Hunter as it watches with its great eyes. Closer inspection reveals a mess of eyes, flesh and stringy tentacles pulsating to a loud heartbeat, interesting details on the creature are two arms with fingers and fingernails as well as tufts of hair here and there on the exterior. Upon killing Mother Brain she emits very high pitched ear piercing screech which might be interpreted as female being a further possible reason for being referred to as Mother Brain.
Making contact gives the Moon Rune+3 with a line in its description reading "The Great Ones that inhabit the nightmare are sympathetic in spirit, and often answer when called upon" leaving some strange implications towards the Great Ones implying they have more complex personalities as they may initially seem, as to Mother Brain's role in Mergo's loft and how it was able to become trapped by Micolash and his school of Mensis this description explains a possible way Mother Brain was able to be captured.
The Winter Latern (also known as Brain Trusts) is an interesting enemy that bears striking resemblance to that of Mother Brain which leads to many lines of thinking such as what Mother Brain could have evolved from or that she is creating them implied by their proximity to her. Very interestingly the Winter Lanterns all have female body types, appear to be wearing the Dolls Set stained with blood.
The word Mensis is Latin for month and represents the part of a woman's menstrual cycle where there is discharge from the womb, it is linked to the lunar cycle (28 days), this links closely to the themes of birth, infants and of course blood.