Father Gascoigne is one of the first bosses you will encounter in the game. He is a fellow Hunter who uses the Hunter Axe and Hunter Pistol. His moveset is nearly to what you would have using those weapons, usually swings of his axe with a few rolling attacks. He can be easily parried as a human. If the Hunter moves to medium range, Gascoigne will use his pistol, often spamming it. This is mostly just annoying, as its damage is fairly low. It's not until he transforms into a werewolf that he gets extremely dangerous, as his attacks become relentless, extremely fast, and highly damaging.
|First||2,031||1,800||Neutral / Beast|
|Info||Physical Def||Blunt Def||Thrust Def||Blood Res||Arcane Res||Bolt Res||Fire Res||Slow Poi Res||Rapid Poi Res|
|Oedon Tomb Key|
- Pistol Shot
- Non-transformed blade attacks
- Transformed blade attack
- Overhead Smash
- 4-5 quick hit combo
- 2-3 slower swipes
- This Boss has three Stages. In the first, it will feel like fighting a copy of yourself. Just make sure you have a tombstone between you and him, and this should be a piece of cake. If you have bullets, he can also be parried an riposted fairly easily, which should take care of almost a quarter of his health per riposte. After taking some damage (about a third of his health), he will transform the Hunter Axe, giving him reach. Worry not though, as the tombstone still blocks him and ripostes still work. Then comes the beast phase, in which he will become significantly faster and more vicious. Watch out for his insane combos and keep dodging until you have a moment to breathe. To facilitate all this process, the Tiny Music Box will allow you to stun him for some good R2 bashing. Additionally, having a few oil urns and molotovs can make quick work of this phase, as he already takes increased damage from fire due to his fur. Two or three cocktails and one or two urns should do the trick for an easy kill.
- He is fast. Be on your heels.
- Do not use the Music Box when you are either too far away from him or behind a grave.
- Note that he is easy to parry in the first 1/2 of the fight.
- The cheese-strategy only applies to the first 2/3rd of the fight.
- Enter the boss room. Immediately use the 'Music Box' after counting to 2. If you don't he will shoot you and you will lose precious opportunity. If you don't have the Music Box you gotta time it right. Enter. Lock-on. Shoot him. Run.
- Run to the right of the arena and run up the stairs. Up above, there are a many coffins and turn angles for you to hide behind and avoid his bullet fire(lesser blood vial usage compared to grave-level). Also an escape route that gives you a solid 10 seconds to heal and run back up around. The graves-down-below play mindgames with your dodge mechanic. You have been dodging all this while on flat empty plane, the graves here are there to throw off your dodges. Step 2 ensures you are where you can use what you have learnt so far.
- Now while he is becoming Beast Gascoigne, there is enough time to lob 2 Molotov's (same as an oil urn+Molotov). If you are on the top floor, you will always be in-range for it to hit. This will hurt him bad. All beasts are weak to Fire.
- In 'Beast' mode he is faster. He will either go crazy and start hitting (frenzy) or jump high-up and do a plunging attack. Former (crazy mode), just stay away and try and hit him with the gun for a easy parry (dodge back). Latter (jump mode), just dodge towards him, he will miss and you will get 3 exact R1 hits.
- Cheese-strategy to kill Beast Gascoigne: make him to follow you upstairs, dodge and run back downstairs, stay next to the fence. He will try to attack you through the fence, you can use some molotov or use a long range weapon/jump attacks safely.
- Gascoigne's arena is a circular graveyard with gravestones everywhere and a few trees placed on the edges of the arena. A raised platform with stairs on either side hugs the back of the arena. This platform is accessible during the fight, but the doorway at the top cannot be accessed until the Hunter kills Father Gascoigne and gains the Oedon Tomb Key
There are many obstacles making it easy to be obstructed or cornered.
- You can summon him for the Cleric Beast fight.
- Summon locations: 1) Down the stairs left of the Central Yarnham lantern. 2) In the middle of the courtyard with the troll banging on the gate (past the lamp area).
- He is using the Hunter Pistol for his firearm, but strangely it fires shots similar to the Hunter Blunderbuss.
- Gascoigne most likely came to Yharnam from a foreign place where he earned the Father title. According to Gascoigne's Cap, "Father" is a title used for clerics in a foreign land, and there is no such rank in the Healing Church.
- The reason for Gascoigne moving to Yharnam is unknown but it's likely that he moved there in search of Yharnam's healing blood.
- Father Gascoigne became a hunter after receiving a blood transfusion, like many others and partnered himself with another hunter named Henryk.
- He joined the Healing Church but eventually left for unknown reasons, as Gascoigne's Garb describes.
- After taking so much blood, it took it's toll on Gascoigne and he started to forget himself, getting closer to turning into a beast.
- On the night of the hunt, Viola goes looking for Gascoigne but forgets to bring the Tiny Music Box. Without it, she has nothing to help Gascoigne remember who he is and to halt his progression of turning into a beast. Therefore, Viola is unfortunately killed by her husband.
- Alternatively, it's possible Viola was simply killed by the other Yharnamites on the hunt, the last straw for Gascoigne being discovering Viola's corpse.
When first encountered
Beasts all over the shop…
You'll be one of them, sooner or later…
When lowered to half health
What's that smell?
The sweet blood, oh, it sings to me.
It's enough to make a man sick…
When the player dies before the transformation
Too proud to show your true face eh?
But what a sporting hunt it was!